What is it?
- A new pressure treated wood is on the market now that has a brown colour.
- The brown is dark at first, but then fades to a more natural wood colour over time.
- Brown Treated Lumber is now the most popular and requested material for installation!
- Finished look - no need to stain upon installation.
- Economical when compared to cedar and requires less maintenance
- Check out our Featured Fence and ask us about the benefits.
Is it safe?
- The chemical treatment is as safe as current green pressure treating methods. It is simply a different colour. The treatment for modern pressure treated wood is safe and does not include the previously used arsenic from decades past.
Does it last?
- Pressure treated wood provides long term protection against fungal decay and termite infestation. The life of a pressure treated wood fence can be greater than 20 years!
Does it fade?
- The treatment process is why freshly installed Pressure Treated Wood tends to have a greenish or dark brown tinge to it when first installed, depending on the variety used.
- Even in the first few weeks of sun exposure, the colour will transform to a more natural colour.
Should I stain it?
- Although pressure treated wood is weather resistant and durable, we recommend you stain it with an oil based stain once after waiting the required 90 days and then every 3-4 years after that. This will prevent the fence from turning dull and grey in colour over the years.
- Don't sand the fence! if you want to clear debris before staining simply hose it off the day before. Never use a pressure washer - it will damage the wood.